- Coloring Outside the Box...One Size Does Not Fit All in Non-profit Governance. This newly-released study presents findings and recommendations from community and organizational leaders about ways to improve board function and effectiveness, and proposes discussion questions to facilitate conversations between staff and board leaders about their roles and responsibilities in maintaining the culture and values of the organization. Click here for more information or to download a copy of the survey.
- Online Modules to Help You and Your Board Clarify Roles and Responsibilities. The Board Development Program, in partnership with Alberta Library Trustees Association, has developed an online learning module to help new board members and library trustees (and those looking for a refresher) to strengthen their governance skills. This module has sound, text and graphics to guide you through the content. Click here to start the module.
- Community Literacy of Ontario has prepared sample job descriptions for board members and executive positions.
- A sample job description for a member of the Board of Directors of Prince Edward Learning Centre can be accessed by emailing email@example.com or by contacting Linda Conley at Prince Edward Learning Centre, Lower Level of The Armoury, 1B - 206 Main Street, Box 3223, Picton ON K0K 2T0. Tel: (613) 476-1811; Fax: (613) 476-8766.
- The Brown Governance organization has a series of videos that address what a board's role is and isn't. These can be ordered at www.browngovernance.com.
- Nathan Garber & Associates has a template for creating questionnaires to obtain feedback about Executive Director performance from board members, partner agencies, funders and employees.